Our own ISEF-affiliated fair The BCA Research Expo at Bergen County Academies is now open for registration. The premilinary round will be held on Sunday, March 1st and the finals will be on the evening of Wednesday, March 11th. This change will enable BCA to highlight the extraordinary research done by our students as well as provide more students with the opportunity to compete for a spot at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair that will take place this year in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Research teachers will be sharing more information with students in the upcoming weeks.
It is our expectation that all students in BCA’s research program will complete the registration for entry at one of the following levels of participation in The BCA Research Expo. Students may discuss these options with their research teacher to determine which level is most appropriate:
- Full poster presentation (local prizes as well as consideration for attending ISEF)
- Full poster presentation (local prizes only)
- Research Associate Division (local prizes only)
To register for the Expo, the following forms must be completed, as indicated, by November 25th and can be revised up until December 13th, 2019. Forms can be found and filled in by clicking here.
Important Note: In order to successfully complete the form, you MUST download the PDF, open the downloaded file with Acrobat, and then save it. Only then can you add information to the fields, and save again every time before you close the file to retain your information.
The following four forms must be completed as described below, by all students enrolled in research. Students should then print the forms, obtain parental signature where indicated and return the forms to their mentors who will help them complete the process. If your child is engaged in off campus research, we encourage them to follow the registration procedures outlined in this letter.
- Checklist for Adult Sponsor (Completed by student and BCA research teacher)
- Student Checklist 1A (Completed by student and mentor)
- Research Plan/Project Summary – must accompany 1A (Completed by student and mentor)
- Approval Form 1B (Completed and signed by student and parent)
The following forms must be completed, as indicated, by all students except those who selected “Research Associate Division” above.
- Form 1C (only for students who did research in a lab outside of BCA)
- Qualified Scientist Form 2 (completed by mentor)
- Risk Assessment Form (completed by student and mentor)
- Human Participants Form 4 (only for Psychology research)
- Vertebrate Animal 5A & 5B– (only for students who did research in a lab outside of BCA)
- Potentially Hazardous Forms 6A & 6B (for Vertebrate Animal. Cell & Molecular projects only – completed by student and mentor)
- Continuation Projects Form 7 - If student’s current research was previously entered in an ISEF affiliated Fair (completed by mentor and student)
If your child is involved in research in any of the following areas, they should contact their BCA research mentor:
- Behavioral and Social Science
- Biochemistry, Medicine, Health Science, Microbiology
- Animal and Plant Sciences (Zoology and Botany)
- Earth and Space Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Mathematics and Computer Sciences
- Physical Sciences (Chemistry and Physics)
For additional information please have your child contact their Research mentor.Top of page